Sunday, June 19, 2011

Reggaeton and Salsa as substitute for Zumba!

Saturday, June 11th., me and 3 other women from Zumba, decided to meet up at one of the women's place, before going to the "Ladies Night" at a Salsa Club in town. They had a woman teaching Reggaeton from 9-10 PM. It was my first time there, as I always saw the club as a club that only had couples dancing. Well, because of the Ladies Night, there were no couples in sight to begin with. In fact, we were the only women there, except for 2 of my latin mix instructors, who came over and said hi. When we were about 10 women there, the reggaeton instructor called us over to begin the class. It was great fun. I love reggaeton music and some of the steps she taught us, I'm always using when going clubbing.. Only when I go clubbing and do things freestyle, I have no idea if the steps and moves I use, have an actual name. It was great fun. While we were dancing, more and more women joined in and it was fun to see how our small line got longer and longer, as we were moving from one end of the dance floor, to the other. Well, there were free cocktains for the women from 10-11 PM and I did manage to get two cocktails withing that time. The bartenders were way too slow to maintain the bar, if you ask me. Normaly, when you go to have a drink in the clubs in town, you usualy get a shot of Barcardi mixed with sprite.. Those drinks only take 1 minute to mix for the bartenders. At the salsa club, the bar was so crowded, that it took you 15 minutes just to get close to the bar, then it took the bartender 15 minutes to create a Mojito or a Strawberry Daquiri. I think it will do the club better justice, if they start mixing the same drinks all other clubs are serving. After the 2 cocktails, the club was getting crowded and people were starting to dance on the dance floor, like they would do at any other club. This night was special, as they played all of my favorite music. Reggaeton mixed with r&b and hip hop. If they play this kind of music every weekend, I asure you, that I will be coming back and bringing my girlfriends some time.However, I see them broadcasting the place as a Salsatek normaly, and that will not make me come. The club has 2 dance floors, that is used for teaching dance during the afternoons, that turns into Salsatek/ Night club in the evenings. That evening, they would play Salsa at one of the dance floors and my favorite music at the other. It was amazing. Although the two dance floors were almost conected, you could not hear the music that was played at the other dance floor, which created two different atmospheres in the same bar. Amazing, if you ask me. The women that I was there with, were all 10 years older than me, but they didn't mind letting loose and dancing to the music with me. So I'm now at an age, where I can go out clubbing with people that are 10 years younger or older than myself. I love it! Only bummer was, that the women wanted to go home very early. So we left the club at 12.30 AM.

Monday our instructor was back, to inform us, that he would not be back till August. We already knew that he would be doing another job from June 24th. untill August. He did the same last year. I'm not sure what that job is, but he might be performing with a band or doing dance workshops abroad. Yes, he's a famous man, so we have to share him with the world. It's fine. I'm still very honoured to have had him for zumba for a year. Not many people can brag with having a so talented instructor like he is. Everyone knows who he is. If you tell them you have a Brazlian zumba instructor, they will all know who you're talking about, and most of them are jealous. Anyway, the reason why he would be away for the rest of the week, was not the job abroad, but a job at the Royal ballet. They have a performance today and needed him to be there to help them adjust some details all week. Well, we had 2 hours outdoor zumba Monday. Just as we were in the middle of our stretch out, it started raining, and we all ran under a roof to finish off. We were so lucky that the rain didn't kick in while we were doing zumba. It had been dust raining for a bit, though, but we were fine. However, the ground became more and more slippery towards the end, but we had no injurys at all. After the stretch out, we were talking for 5-10 minutes. The instructor wanted us to think about what he has taught us, for when we have to go out and find a new place to do zumba in the future. There are good instructors that will inform you about what shoes to wear, what to do to avoid injurys etc., and there are bad instructors, who end up with injurys themselves, cause they have no knowledge at all on how to maintain a healthy and fit body. I feel that because of my instructor I'm now capeable of taking care of my own body. I know what to do, if an instructor is trying to put my weak ankles in a bad position and so on. I know how to use a little more strenght and power, when doing my salsa step, to create a smalle twist on my tummy, to tone the muscles. Yes, I can do it! Now I just need to find the right place and instructor.

I've always been doing research on various zumba instructors whenever I've been out for special zumba events. But now I want to look at other gyms than the ones I know. I cannot go without zumba all summer. So in my search, I found a gym that has a lot of zumba on their schedule. They have a special 3 months summer sale, so Friday I called them up. By faith, they told me, that at 5 PM that day, they were having a free Salsa class that I was more than welcome to join as they were having an audition of an instructor. I was so happy. And when I got there, I saw the name on a poster. It turned out to be the instructor that teaches couples salsa at the salsa night club. Well, at the gym, he will be teaching salsa the zumba way. Meaning, without a partner. I always hated the fact, that all the salsa and zouk classes being taught at the club, was for couples only. Cause I always dance alone. The instructor was from Guatemala and held the class in English, which didn't seem to effect the class. He was very serious to begin with, but as he had us doing some pretty tricky steps and turns, he started to have us all laugh a lot. In the end, he brought he dance partner in, to show us 10 minutes of couple dancing. Well, I need to learn a lot more, before I can do a couple dance with anyone. When class was over, I talked with the leader of the gym, who told me that I was more than welcome to bring my other zumba friends for a free zumba class one time, now that our instructor will be leaving us soon. The salsa instructor was hired, and will be teaching salsa every Wednesday at 7:30 PM. Not the best choise for me. I already have latin mix at one gym from 4:30-5:30 PM. Then the sports arena near my home also used to teach Zumba from 5-6 PM... So unless some changes are made with the various gym schedules, I have something to think about. SIGH.

Wednesday this week, I had to cancel Latin Mix as I was going shopping with my grandma. She suffers from alzheimers in the early stages, and asked me to take her shopping for a dress to wear at my parens' 25th. anniversarry next month. Next week, I'll make sure to go to latin mix Wednesday. I know that 2 people from my zumba class will join me, along with my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment